In January 2007, I weighed 420 lbs . In February 2009, I was down to 255 lbs and within 100 lbs of my goal weight. I couldn't get the scale to budge and gave up. By August 2015, I hit a personal high at 442 lbs. Now I'm on a renewed journey to health.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Protein and Veggies

I need to cut some carbs in my life, and a good place to do that is with breakfast. I pretty much eat cereal (Cheerios or Raisin Bran) and an orange every morning. I am thinking about a switch to protein shakes and fruit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it a good idea? Any suggestions on powders or pre-made shakes? Any favorite brands?

Another problem I have is that I don't get the minimum five servings of veggies every day. I am thinking about drinking those as well--maybe some V8? Any ideas on this?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I eat cereal (including oatmeal) or other whole grain carbs for breakfast about twice a month. Instead I eat a smoothie most mornings: 1/2 cup ff plain greek yogurt, 1/2 cup lite soy milk (or you can use skim), 1 c frozen fruit, and 1/2 tsp stevia (or splenda if that's your sweetener of choice). Blend it all up and you've got one rockin protein "shake" sans the powder. The other days I eat egg white omelets with rf cheese. Again, you're getting good protein without carbs or much fat.

Anonymous said...

A fruit salad is a great way to get your daily fruit-- top with some no fat yogourt and it can be just lovely. Juices like V8 are better than no fruit at all but during processing they lose a lot of what makes fruit so good for you. If you can I would really suggest sticking to the real thing.

Best of luck with your weight loss, you are doing great!

Barb

Anonymous said...

Losing some of the carbs in your diet may be a good idea for you, especially since you have been on a plateau. I have found that reducing simple carbs really has helped my weight loss efforts. I have focused more on lean proteins, veggies and fruits, and have finally started to lose again.

Roxie said...

First time comment. Nice to meet you.

I'm a big advocate of the protein breakfast. It seems to work better for my body. Try it to see if it works for you. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I make 4 days worth of oatmeal (steele cut) in the crock pot and take it to work in the morning for breakfast.
if i am more hungry i will have fruit or yogurt with it. if i am lazy i have a jimmy dean breakfast bowl. bad ...but it tastes yummy!
i also drink v8 to get the veggies in when i am not doing so good on those...which is often!
wendy-from-facebook :)