In January 2007, I weighed 420 lbs . In February 2009, I was down to 255 lbs and within 100 lbs of my goal weight. I couldn't get the scale to budge and gave up. By August 2015, I hit a personal high at 442 lbs. Now I'm on a renewed journey to health.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Time article

How very frustrating.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

8 comments:

purple_moonflower said...

OMG! Seriously!! I started beefing up my exercise to break my plateau! Ugh!!

Kimberly said...

There is absolutely no freaking way that this is true.

When I walk 5 miles a day I drop up to a pound a day. Exercise = dramatic weight loss.

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

I skimmed the article and while I feel like "why is this news?" I do agree with the compensation piece, I sometimes have a habit of eating more calories than I burned! Oops. But there are so many great things about exercise that I feel they didn't touch on....I dunno...weird.

Amy AS said...

I'm with MackAttack. There is truth to the fact that I do tend to compensate by eating worse than I should "because I exercise." But exercise also makes me feel healthier and it keeps me in a good place emotionally. The "Time" people didn't touch on that at all. This piece is really going to frustrate people and give people an excuse NOT to exercise.

Kimberly said...

I eat more when I exercise too. But if you eat more calories via healthy foods like fruits, veggies, high fiber foods you will lose weight faster with exercise. Of course if you are packing away doughnuts after exercising then you have no hope of dropping weight.

This is a VERY misleading article and blatantly irresponsible for the sole purpose of selling magazines.

bbubblyb said...

I read this article earlier today and like you, it was very frustrating.

Anonymous said...

I agree- frustrating and misleading!

To me, its saying that every fat person is a moron who rewards themselves with unhealthy treats after working out. Give me a break!

OF COURSE exercising makes you hungry - its called increasing your metabolism! But, if you are conscious of your food and eat lean protein to rebuild muscle and fruits to give you the burst of energy you need after a workout, you are NOT GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT!

All this article is doing is allowing people the excuse to not exercise.

Shame on them for publishing such bull!

Linda said...

At first, exercising slowed my weight loss, but my WW leader told me this would happen. But it did make me smaller, just weighed the same. You have to restrict your food AND exercise. The article is really misleading.