My New Year's Resolution this year was to get healthy. It's been about 10 months now and I am healthier. I no longer take medication for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or my pre-diabetes. I have also lost about 70 lbs, down to 350 lbs from my starting weight of 420 lbs. I still can't believe that I once weighed 420 lbs... I'm only 5'4"!
It's been a tough journey and I often wish I had it chronicled it. I read other people's blogs and get so much strength. I suppose in many ways I was embarrassed to admit to the world that I found it necessary to lose weight. Last fall a student approached me on my college campus and told me that she admired what I'm doing and that her mom is also big. That was humiliating to me. She admired me for walking! I had fooled myself into thinking that no one really noticed my weight in a negative way. There's obviously a lot of denial on my end...
I am now ready to go a little more public with my weight loss. I've been very honest with my students about it in the last month or so, and this last week I was briefly mentioned in an article in the school paper for my weight loss. The publicity is actually helping me keep on track. Too many people know now; I have to keep losing weight!
I look forward to sharing this journey with you.
Self Rehabilitation
1 week ago

No comments:
Post a Comment